dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Burning a DVD with > 2GB files -- What files are

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Burning a DVD with > 2GB files -- What files are you'all burning >2GB???
Date: 19 Jan 2003 16:12:57 -0500

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 12:39, André Dalle wrote:
> I posted a while back about the same issue.  I have the same error with
> mkisofs.
> I have no troubles building 4+ GB ISO images, and burning them, so long as
> files are
> less than 2GB.
> I can create ISO images consisting of 2+GB files from Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0
> in Windows.

Are you sure it is creating ISO9660 images?  Or could it be using either
an extension or another format (like UDF)?

[ NOTE:  I honestly don't know myeslf, I haven't read the ISO9660 spec ]

> I can loopback mount these images under Linux and access files just fine, and
> burn them with dvdrecord.
> This is my current workaround - I generate the iso from the Windows-based app,
> writing it to my Linux system, which is running Samba 2.2.7.

BTW, I'm curious why you'all are mastering images with such large files?

I hope you're not putting large tar.gz in them.  Considering that:

  A)  All it takes is a single byte error to destroy your entire archive
from that point forward, and
  B)  This double-archiving (remember, CD images are a type of archive
format) results in exponentially increasing the time it takes to access
files

As such, using big, single file tar.gzs are not recommended.

If you feel you must "double archive," at least using something like
afio (cpio-compatible), which does per-file compression in the archive.
In addition to removing tar.gz's "single byte total corruption" issue,
it also allows you to break up archives into multiple, independent
archives (_unlike_ using split, which still requires you to have all
pieces).

Either that, or copy the tree you want to master, recursive gzip, bzip2
or lzop the files themselves, and then master that.  In addition to
massively decreasing suseptibility to single byte errors, you can
directly browser your tree on CD, and easily restore individual files.
If you'd prefer this, I have a script that will do this for you (it was
published in the 2002 April edition of SysAdmin).

-- Bryan

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]