dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] crypt ISO image -- can't encrypt images any more t

From: Richard Stevens
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] crypt ISO image -- can't encrypt images any more than you can compress
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:25:33 +0100

Hi,

sorry, I wasn't that precise :-)

On Saturday 25 January 2003 19:16, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Richard Stevens wrote:
> > afaik, that is not possible since only NON consumer drives can write the
> > sections that contain the code.
>
> mh... which code are you referring to? the css thing?

I meant the keys wich are needed to decrypt the thing.

See here:

http://www.taperesources.com/dvd_media.html

especially the section "Two Formats for Two Markets: Professional and
Consumer".

A direct quote:
- ---
To support consumer applications for DVD-R, the DVD Forum determined that
another type of DVD-R media was necessary. The newest member of the DVD-R
family uses a recording wavelength of 650nm, and discs are recorded on
different drives than the existing 635nm format. This new format is called
"DVD-R for General", because it is aimed at a broad base of applications.
Meanwhile, the existing 635nm format has been renamed "DVD-R for Authoring"
to reflect its used in professional applications.

Why are there two formats? The key reason for the introduction of DVD-R for
General media is that it contains content protection measures that make it
physically impossible to make bit-for-bit copies of CSS encrypted
entertainment titles.

(...)

Either type of DVD-R media can be used for DVD video authoring, which is the
process of preparing video content for use in DVD video players. It should be
noted, however, that CSS encryption cannot be used with either type of DVD-R
media.

- ---

You'll find many ressouces when searching on google for consumer and dvd and
record.

> >  To copy a vido CD it's therefore necessary to
> > decrypt the video before burning it.
>
> videoCD? perhaps you wanted to say dvd-video

Yes, DVD of course.