dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: crypt ISO image -- "raw" recording, byte endian a

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: crypt ISO image -- "raw" recording, byte endian and data alignment concerns ...
Date: 25 Jan 2003 12:18:30 -0500

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 11:05, Arndt Schoenewald wrote:
> Just a quick answer to two questions that have been posed in this
> thread:
> 1. Yes, cdrecord/cdrecord-PRODVD/dvdrecord can write image files
>    of arbitrary format to the {CD,DVD}-{R,RW} drives; the images
>    do not have to be ISO9660.

Okay, thanx.

> 2. Yes, you can copy DVDs with "dd"; it may even work better than
>    using "dd" to copy CDs since DVDs do not have multiple tracks
>    or sessions (at least not yet). (Normally, you'd want to use
>    "readcd" from the cdrecord package to copy a CD.)

Now this gets interesting.  Are their any "byte endian" or, more
importantly, "data alignment" issues in doing such between platforms?

I know "cdrecord" itself acts on "sg" which _is_ a "character" device,
but when it comes to "packaging" the "raw data" in the image to record,
aren't there issues?

I guess if you:
  A) Use a streaming I/O archive (cpio, tar, pax, etc...), and
  B) GnuPG encrypt ASCII (.asc) instead of default binary (.pgp)

You wouldn't run into byte endian and data alignment issues, correct?

Anyone concur or dissent?

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
[ http://thebs.org/files/resume/BryanJonSmith_certifications.pdf ]