dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Compatibility with cdrtools

From: Flavien Bridault
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Compatibility with cdrtools
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:06:30 +0100

Le mardi 07 mars 2006 à 22:19 +0100, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer a écrit :
> On Tuesday, 7. March 2006 18:40, Flavien Bridault wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > However, we realized that we were wrong, dvdrtools seems no longer
> > compatible with cdrtools. In fact, I tested today several front-ends
> > like k3b, gnomebaker, graveman, or nautilus-cdburner and I was even
> > unable to blank a CD-RW disk... :-/
> > Could you please tell me :
> > - if it is supposed to work ?
>
> Yes, and I've just verified it does work here (dvdrtools 0.3.1, tried k3b
> 0.12.13 and cdbakeoven 2.0-beta2)
>
> What happens if you try? Maybe the frontends hardcode the cdrecord file name
> (I do have a cdrecord is a symlink to dvdrecord here - maybe you don't have
> that and didn't tell the frontends to run dvdrecord?)...
>
> Regards,
> bero

Well, my bad, I didn't set up the suid bit to the dvdrecord binary, that
why k3b didn't work with a regular user. cdrecord can work without the
suid bit, so I made the mistake to use the same setup. The progress bar
doesn't work during the program

However, I was not able to burn anything with gnomebaker, graveman or
even nautilus-cdburner (latest stable versions for all). I supposed they
use options that don't appear in dvdrecord command because I well have a
symlink to cdrecord.
Here is the output from gnomebaker :

cdrecord: Bad Option: gracetime=5.

Unfortunately, the two other frontends don't output anything on
errors... :-/
I don't know if you are concerned about this problem of compatibility,
but if you have some free time, that might be good to get in touch with
the developers of these frontends in order to know what other specific
options they use.

A last remaining question, can dvdrecord burn DVD's itself without using
growisofs from dvd+rw-tools ?

Thanks again,

Regards,
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: address@hidden

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs
exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international.