dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] dvi origin issue

From: jw
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] dvi origin issue
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:38:18 -0700

>  `-T image_size'
>
>    Set the image size to image_size which can be either of `bbox', `tight',
> or a comma-separated pair of dimensions hsize,vsize such as `.1in,.3cm'. The
> default is `bbox' which produces a PNG that includes all ink put on the page
> and in addition the DVI origin, located 1in from the top and 1in from the
> left edge of the paper. This usually gives whitespace above and to the left
> in the produced image. The value `tight' will make dvipng only include all
> ink put on the page, producing neat images.

The way I read that is: If I don't specify any -T option, it should
use 'bbox', which 'usually gives whitespace above and to the left...'
But that's not what happens for me. It does not include the DVI origin
(1in to left, 1in up) by default.
Right now it seems that the default is 'tight' instead of 'bbox' - or
maybe I am just parsing this wrong somehow.

> The reason for the behaviour of dvipng (including the dvi origin rather than
> the topleft corner of the paper) is that it is intended for producing
> equation images, in which case, the top and left whitespace is unwanted.

I think I understand - I actually don't even want that whitespace, I
just wanted to check that my scripts weren't making use of a bug that
would maybe change in the future (:

> But point taken (mental note: add text about this in the -O docs in the next
> release).

No worries, thanks for clearing it up

-John