edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:20:32 +0200

Hello,

here are some more thoughts:

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:23:28PM +0200, Thomas Jensch wrote:

> goals
> 1) Free Software is recognized as a competitor on equal footing / non-
> discriminatory policy against Free Software

As mentioned in an earlier email, I'd say if a Free Software solution
is available, it should be given preference.

> 2) vendor independent lectures (no product schooling)

I think this is very important and should be mandatory throughout
Europe. I often hear the argument: "Free Software is nice and good,
but We are teaching MS-Word because that's what the kids will face at
their future work place."

A lot of parents think that way, too. They fear that their kids get
educated with "second class" software, if it's not the product
"everybody else" is using.

> 3) use of Open Standards / cross-platform software in education sector

I'd say the use of open standards should be mandatory as well. The
usage of cross-platform software is desirable, but I wouldn't insist
on it. I think a lot of very good free educational software is not
cross-platform software and would be excluded.

I remember Knut Irvin a few years ago at FOSDEM saying, that
cross-platform software is the key for Free educational Software. If
the kids/parents can't run it at home on their Windows machines: they
won't use it. I think that's a good and valid point, but it gets a
little bit weaker with the use of USB-stick live systems.

> 4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives

Does anybody have a list of projects and initiatives? Maybe we can
start a collection in a wiki. Since wiki.fsfe.org is restricted to
Fellows, it might not be the perfect place for it. Any suggestions?

> 1.1. teacher "discounts" for proprietory software
> - aka "bribery"

There are also students "discounts" for proprietary software

> - research on the subject
> - is a more legal approach possible?

Thomas,
Could you explain what you mean by this?

> 1.2. awareness building within education adminstration / legislation
> - identify and set up a network of like-minded/open people within
> adminstration

> - communicate and initiate pilot projects
> -- Rhinland-Palatinate (skolelinux + Knopper) a good example

Yes, that's a good example indeed. I saw at least a dozen news entries
about it. They all report about the nice and shiny "result", which is
good, but I am interested in the story what was necessary to get
there. Anybody listening with an insight on that or is it already
somewhere written?

> - contact politicians

is being worked on :)

> - approach parties (especially during election campaigns)
> - integrate fellowship
> 1.3. awareness building at headmaster, dean level
> - participation at education events

That would be nice. Although the booths at education events seem to be
very expensive. Here is point 4) very important again to pool
resources (money, manpower, expertise, ...)

> 3.2. schoolbook publishers
> - by now publishers just provide proprietory software
> - publishers depend on the curriculum

Publishers can only sell what schools will buy. If the political
policy demands cross-platform software, that will be a huge step
forward. It's important to note though, that cross-platform does not mean
free.

> - probably weird contracts with MS (?)

Never heard of that one. Anybody else?

> 4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives
> 4.1. powerful edu-eu@ ML
> - define tasks for edu-eu@

I think edu-eu@ is a list where people are connected who are already
involved in certain edu projects. I guess, it's a nice place to start
with the international network.

But the projects should be listed somewhere.

> 4.2. awareness building within FSedu community
> - analyse existing networks

Could you explain what do you mean by analyse?

Thanks,

Guido