edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:11:30 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:57:24AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Guido Arnold schrieb:
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:23:28PM +0200, Thomas Jensch wrote:
>>> 4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives
>>
>> Does anybody have a list of projects and initiatives? Maybe we can
>> start a collection in a wiki. Since wiki.fsfe.org is restricted to
>> Fellows, it might not be the perfect place for it. Any suggestions?
>
> Such a network would be highly desirable. When I was joining a local
> initiative I did a quick web research focused only on school
> distributions (german and live distributions in particular) I was
> astonished about how much distributions are out there. To be a little odd
> one could say: There are not too less distros, there are too much. I know
> there never can be too much, but without network I fear the forces are
> spit instead of added.

I agree that a lot of effort is wasted in re-inventing the wheel.

Nevertheless I am not too concerned about the number of distributions.
I guess that most of the maintainers are aware of "the others" and
that they do their own thing for a reason.

> By the way, if you want to have a look at my distro-collection go to
> <http://wiki.linuxadvanced.at/index.php/Fossielinks#Distributionen>

I think your collection is already a good starting point. We only need
to translate it to English.

>>> 4) European network of "Free Software in education" projects and initiatives
>>> 4.1. powerful edu-eu@ ML
>>> - define tasks for edu-eu@
>
>> I think edu-eu@ is a list where people are connected who are already
>> involved in certain edu projects. I guess, it's a nice place to start
>> with the international network.
>>
>> But the projects should be listed somewhere.
>
> There exists something for that
> <http://www.ofset.org>
> (Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching).

I haven't visited ofset.org for a while. I always thought that their
aim is more the development of free edu software, not so much its
advocacy. I'll have a look again.

> And there are more of them out there (I would say about 10 at least).
> Most of them having "latest news" dated in 2003/2004 and look passed
> away.
>
> As mentioned above, without a central entry point much of the power gets
> lost. So cooperating and featuring one of them may be would be better
> than building a new one.

I agree. Once we decided which one to use, we can ping the others and
invite the sleeping contributers to join us :)

> And not to forget, the european union itself sponsors a project building
> communities and source forges around open source and free software. Have
> a look at <http://www.osor.eu>.

I know that one too, but always thought they only collect news on the
adoption of "open source". I'll have a deeper look here, too.

Greetings,

Guido