edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] RFC - FSFE activity "education"
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 00:40:34 +0200

Hello,

sorry for the late response.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:23:06PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Guido Arnold schrieb:
>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:09:12AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> All right, let's start at the fsfe wiki for the time being until we
>> find a suitable solution that will allow non-fellows to contribute as
>> well.
>
> I started the page <https://wiki.fsfe.org/Education/Edu-Portals> and I
> will update the page with my long list of bookmarks collected over time.

Thanks!

> But if there are only we two working in this field it will be another dead
> end,

I hope that others will join us soon. On the long run, I prefer a wiki that
can be used by anyone, but as I said, until we found a more suitable
solution, let's just use what we have. I think using a wiki is a nice
way to allow others to continue to do and to built on what others
started. In other words: A nice way to prevent creating another "dead
end".

I don't intent to replace any project that already exists. I wanted to
use the wiki and the link-collection for "us" to work with and to get
an overview what's already out there. By "us" and "our", I mean the
few people who want to "lobby" in favor of Free Software in schools.

> The page <http://www.fsfe.org/projects/education/eduteam.html> tells
> about "three databases with free edu software". Does anybody has the
> links of them? May be I know them, but I want to verify.
>

> Even if the european level is more appropriate (because of cultural
> implications) for edu software than for others (like spreadsheets) I
> think this level only make sense for political actions. For software
> itself I think the global level would be the only fitting.

I would like to see the focus of our (FSFE) activities in political actions.

Developing distributions and establishing info/community/educational
platforms shouldn't be our job IMHO. But we could put some effort to
encourage people of "semi-dead" projects to join forces and revive
the most promising ones.

Greetings,

Guido