edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] FWB: Foss with benefits

From: Charles Cossé
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] FWB: Foss with benefits
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 00:03:15 -0700

Hi Marko,

I am trying to find some interested FOSS developers, and I believe this is one of the right places.  This project can help you, FOSS developers and parents.  Every parent I've talked to says "our family needs that".  "That" refers to a way to supplement video game time with constructive, educational activity.    I have developed a simple, open source credit-meter/router using a Raspberry-Pi running Gentoo Linux which solves the micro-management issues that arise when trying to supplement ones' childrens' education.

The other half of the equation is the educational activities.  For this there is a website built to accommodate open source contributions from developers.  I propose to (someday) charge a modest subscription fee to parents, but not for profit or to be objectionable in any way ... but rather, to then let parents distribute that fee among the FOSS activity developers of their choice.  Not an app store, b/c full access to everything.  It's better, IMO, because it maintains engagement between the user and developer communities (something often lacking) and promotes FOSS development in several ways.

The FSF's resource directory for elementary education contains only 33 projects, 4 (12%) of which are my own.  Projects like GCompris certainly have far more content than my little projects, but I do feel qualified to say that there is certainly room for more.  And this project should not only create more FOSS software for elementary education, but accelerate the rate of development by maintaining the engagement between users and developers.

So let's discuss it!  I encourage interested developers and parents, alike, to become involved.  There are already great FOSS software projects like GCompris, Childsplay and others.   I am a fan of them all.   It's a 0:1 proposition when it comes to FOSS.  It's all good.  This project represents something a little different.  It's web-based, and it offers a mechanism to compensate FOSS developers, while maintaining pure open source principles.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Marko Dimjašević <address@hidden> wrote:

What did you have in mind when you said it is "non-commercial"?

My intended meaning was "no objectionable (to FOSS community) ingredients"

> I am interested to fix any holes in my scheme, though, so could you
> elaborate on where I could be mistaken?

When a non-informed audience uses terms like "non-commercial" ...

Maybe you didn't mean anything like that, but then maybe you could be
more clear.

That is correct, I was referring to "holes in my scheme", not holes in my understanding of what open source software is :)

Finally, let me just add that I would really like to attract developers (and users) internationally, so that it doesn't look like a local project filled with people from my area.  The fact that it is web-based and easily i18-ized will hopefully be a virtue in that respect.

So if any FOSS developers or parents are intrigued by this then I hope you will continue this discussion with your input.

Thanks!
Charles Cossé