Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi - will it happen ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Bidi - will it happen ?
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:13:52 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Tim Freedom wrote:

> OK, so I'm comparing apples to organges, but the point that could be made
> is that there is someone out there that is interested in bringing-forth the
> same functionality - he should be contacted, at a minimum, to see if he has
> interest in helping out, no ?

As I wrote elsewhere, the problem is not to discuss what and how to do,
the problem is to sit down and do it.

People who want to start coding the bidi support are most welcome.

> According to the archives, Eli has spread himself a bit too thin (his words,
> not mine).  What documentation is out there and what's the status of the
> implementation ?  What's left to be implemented in order to garner someone
> else's help in hopes of bringing forth a speedier solution until such time
> as when Eli gets freed-up ?

I believe I started to answer these questions in my other mail.  As for
the documentation, there's nothing but the extensive comments in the code
and UAX#9, but I believe that anyone who's familiar with what Unicode
says about this should have no difficulty understanding the code I wrote;
and my help is available.

> Eli, what do you envision doing to speed-up this process ?

Find more victims^H^H^H^H^H^Holunteers who would be ready to start
coding, picking up where I left off.  For that, they will need to study
the Emacs display code first, like I did at the time.

> Who else might be interested in helping ?

No clue.

> It would be nice to get Bidi completed sooner rather than later.

You can say that again.