[emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:13:58 -0600

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
Hi Eli, Gregg,

To amplify a bit:

I _can_ tell you that bidi support is a must for Hebrew (because
numbers should be displayed left to right),

It's the same in Arabic.  Even the traditional Arabic version of the
digits (what are called "Indic" digits in Arabic) are written from
left to right.  Not to mention that in modern Arabic (as in Hebrew, I
think) there are often words in Latin script interspersed in the text,
one just needs to think of trademarks.

Well, actually, the notion that Arabic/Hebrew et al. is bidirectional is a bit of brokenness inherited by Unicode. So we're stuck with it, obviously, no matter how stupid it is. It's nice to have, if you need to mix languages, but if you are working monolingually its unecessary.

So bidi algorithm support is a must for interpreting/generating Unicode and other legacy *encodings*; it is most certainly not a must for RTL *text*. Vim has no support for the bidi algorithm; I use it frequently to work in Arabic, with no ill effect. Hebrew is no different.

The point being simply that RTL layout makes for a perfectly usable editor with or without bidi support.

-gregg