Re: [emacs-bidi] RTL support

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] RTL support
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:26:35 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:05:43 -0600
From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>

in the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm makes me wonder how come such
an elaborate scheme (more complex than the scheme used in Hebrew) was
invented if Arabic can be written without it.

1. It was legacy, so Unicode had so support it. Then they went berserk with it. 2. Whoever made that first fateful design mistake either didn't understand what he was doing, or else designing in the service of the Arabic/Hebrew/etc speaking community was not a priority (making Western software work for those languages cheaply was most likely the motivation, hence the desire to avoid handling LSD-first digits. But that's just my speculation.)

So how hard would it be to add plain RTL layout first, and then Arabic shaping?

I have no idea.  I certainly am not going to work on RTL without bidi.
If you want partial bidi support, you might try the m17n version or
hebeng.el (which you could hack to support Arabic).

As for Arabic shaping, I think some work was or is planned in the
Unicode branch.  You may wish to try searching the emacs-devel
archives for suitable keywords, I think Kenichi Handa posted some
messages there in the past.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

-gregg