Re: VC/CVS: local diffing and reverting implemented

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: VC/CVS: local diffing and reverting implemented
Date: 04 Oct 2000 16:49:55 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> [ wondering about interaction between that new thing and the multiple-backend
>   support.  What if RCS' version 1.32 is not the same as CVS' version 1.32 ? ]

Version backups are only made and used as long as the backend is CVS.
They are completely irrelevant while you are using RCS -- not made,
not used, not touched.

> I don't see the need for removal when doing the revert.  90% of the
> times I use vc-revert-buffer it is to create a new version with only
> some of the diffs (in order to commit some of the local changes),
> in which case, I'd much rater keep the version-backup.

I'm not sure how that would fail with the current scheme.  You revert
the file -- which causes the backup to be deleted --, then you
re-insert some of the diffs (by whatever means you do that) -- and the
backup is created again.  The invariant is that while the file is in
sync with the repository, there is no backup file.

Or am I not getting your scenario right?