Re: Another minor thing

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Another minor thing
Date: 18 Dec 2000 17:14:45 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> On 18 Dec 2000, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Currently, the cursor *always* follows before/after-strings, even if the
> > corresponding overlay end-point will move upon insertion; this has the
> > odd effect that typing at such a point results in the newly inserted
> > text appearing somewhere distant from the cursor.  I'd like to change it
> > so that the cursor's position will reflect the insertion type of the
> > appropriate overlay end-point.
>
> Could you please post a simple example of this, so that the problem can
> be reproduced?

Evaluate:

   (progn
     (insert "xyz123\n")
     (let* ((beg (- (point) 4))
            (end (- (point) 1))
            (ov (make-overlay beg end nil t t)))
       (overlay-put ov 'before-string "{{{{")
       (overlay-put ov 'after-string "}}}}")
       (goto-char beg)))

and note the cursor is after the "{{{{" string.  Now type, and note
where the characters appear.  Also note that it's impossible to position
the cursor at the point where characters appear.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche