Re[4]: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[4]: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:08:52 -0500

>>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>
>On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Eric M. Ludlam wrote:
  [ ... ]
>> Here are some relevant passages:
>>
>> -------- Keymaps and Minor Modes ------------
>>    The key sequences bound in a minor mode should consist of `C-c'
>> followed by a punctuation character *other than* `{', `}', `<', `>',
>> `:' or `;'.  (Those few punctuation characters are reserved for major
>> modes.)
>> -------
>>
>> -------- Major Mode Conventions -------------
>>    * The key sequences bound in a major mode keymap should usually
>>      start with `C-c', followed by a control character, a digit, or `{',
>>      `}', `<', `>', `:' or `;'.  The other punctuation characters are
>>      reserved for minor modes, and ordinary letters are reserved for
>>      users.
>
>Does this resolve the issue?
  [ ... ]

It resolves the issue of having to come up with a set of standards. :)

As for C-c C-c, I personally don't like it when it is bound to a
comment command, but that is up the the mode author.  As for
hide-show, it should not be using C-c C-c anyway (based on the above
suggestions in the manual.)

If hide-show wants small key-bindings (C-c @ C-o of outline mode which
follows the standard can be long winded for a quick command) perhaps
it needs a different mechanism or standard.  I don't have a good
recommendation for that.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden