Re: Highlighting rectangles?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Highlighting rectangles?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:10:59 -0700 (MST)

    It is obvious, that it is not as easy as it seems, because he must first
    decide, what should be highlighted (region/rectangle). What should be done
    here? Do we miss something like that?

The idea seems natural, but because of this difficulty, I suspect it
won't actually be useful.

Yes, we could introduce a command that says "highlight a rectantle
instead of a region."  But that would not be very convenient on its own
and would not fit naturally with the existing Emacs command set.