Re: patch for glossary.texi: explain highlighting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: patch for glossary.texi: explain highlighting
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:58:15 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?= wrote:

> Somebody asked about highlighting in an Emacs newsgroup.  I thought
> surely he should be able to find the information he needs by looking
> in the Glossary, or maybe by using `i' search.  Transient mark mode
> can be found by using `i highlight RET' and then hitting comma 17 or
> 18 times.  I think only very patient people will do that, so it does
> not hurt to include the information in the Glossary.

If the section about Transient mark mode needs some more indexing, we
could add that.  At the time, it looked to me that "region highlighting"
is good enough.

> Hm.  But then one would have to promote the glossary some more.  Hm.

I think we need to promote the Glossary more than we do anyway.  Quite a
few newcomers have terminology problems in Emacs that approach a cultural
shock.  Index entries try to help, but some things are impossible without
reading the Glossary.