Re: idea -> internal frames?

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: idea -> internal frames?
Date: 04 Nov 2001 13:11:47 -0800

>     > Maybe a face attribute can be added to produce something that looks
> like tabs,
>     > or some special characters.  Then the tool bar could be set up to show
> these
>     > "tabs".
>
>     Well... this would be a hack and I don't think it should be the official
> way to
>     support this.
>
> Why do you think so?  I think it is general, powerful, and clean.
>
> For the use that Per suggested, the header line seems like exactly the right
> place.  For choosing buffers, something like the tool bar would be a better
> place, but I am not convinced it is useful to select buffers that way.

No... it really won't work very well.

For starters you couldn't use the header line AND tabs at the same time.

The other reason is that the TAB should control the buffers, not the buffers
controlling the tab.

If you try to emulate tab functionality you start to run into problems.

- - The UI would flash when the buffer changes.  This is very confusing to end
  users.

- - What do you do when you have 700 tabs?  I would assume that you couldn't
show
  this no an 80 column header-line.  You would need to wrap them onto another
  line or show a continuation "..."

There are a lot more but I think this reasoning is already sufficient.

My suggestion is to NOT implement this until we are ready to implement a high
level GUI toolkit like GTK or QT.

>       Also the header-line would be too thin to do this.  We would need at
>     least two rows of text.. AKA
>
> Why does it need two lines?

At least two lines if you want to use ASCII art.

Here is what it would look like in three lines.

    ___________________
___/  this is the tab  \___

Count them... three lines :)

> (What is "AKA"?)

2 definitions found

- From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  a.k.a.
       adv : as known or named at another time or place; "Mr. Smith,
             alias Mr. Lafayette" [syn: {alias}, {also known as}]

- From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms 13 March 2001 [vera]:

  AKA
          Also Known As

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org/

Don't by Apple products!.  'Think Different' indeed.

  Apple Threatens Open Source Theme Project -
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/17/1628228&mode=thread
  Apple moves to again to squash look-alikes. -
  Themes removed at Apples behest. -
  Apple Advertises '1-click' licensing. -
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/01/0015226&mode=thread
  Apple sues to stop leaks. -