Re: Crashes at C-x 1

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Crashes at C-x 1
Date: 13 Nov 2001 20:36:26 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Glyn Millington wrote:
>
> > > Also, I understand that you invoke Emacs through some menu of your window
> > > manager.  Could you instead invoke it from a shell window, by typing
> > > "emacs21 &", and then see if C-x 1 again causes it to disappear?
> >
> > Well starting from the window provided by Gnome-run it vanishes both
> > with and without the "&".  Started from an xterm or  an aterm it is quite
> > stable.
> >
> > Weird is the word!

Is this on Gnome 1.4?

I just discovered that there is a bug in the version of xalf that is
distributed with Gnome 1.4. The bug has suddenly stopped Emacs from
working for me when launched from the Gnome panel or menus (it was
running fine last week) unless I selected "run in terminal".

Upgrading to the latest xalf (from
 http://www.lysator.liu.se/~astrand/projects/xalf/ ) fixed the
problem for me (and also fixed Mozilla, which has never run from the
panel or menu with a terminal before).

--
Jason Rumney