Re: Language environments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Language environments
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:28:54 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Maybe.  Currently, by far the only difference between the various Latin-1
>     language environments is the default input method.  Isn't this a waste?
>
> I do not see the waste.  What exactly is it that you think is a waste?

We define a sufficiently large data structure for several languages, with
the exact same contents, except for the default input method.

> There is a Lisp file which has a list of country codes; perhaps it has
> the language codes too.

I thought the extensions of the TUTORIAL.* files _was_ a country code.
Isn't it?

> We could use this file to map the file names
> to the languages.  But this file must be pretty large--is that really an
> improvement?

If you mean locale-language-names in mule-cmds.el, then this file is
preloaded anyway.  The problem with it is that it doesn't list a name of
a language, but of a language environment.  For example, "es" has the
association "Latin-1", not "Spanish".  So this is not suitable for a
tutorial, unless we modify locale-language-names (e.g., add the language
name to the data structure).

My problem with the current setup is that you must define a language
environment before (help-with-tutorial t) offers you a name of that
language.  This makes addition of new tutorials error prone.