Re: indian.el

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: Re: indian.el
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:11:33 -0500 (EST)

In a previous message, KAWABATA, Taichi writes:

> Werner> I think `indian.el' is the wrong name.  Shouldn't it be
> Werner> `indic.el'?  It has nothing to do with American's indians...

  <...>
>                          I thought "Indian" seems more natural, but I
> also admit that "Indic" is more precise description for Asian Indian
> languages.  Thus, if many people agrees, I have no problem changing
> everything from `indian' to `indic'.  But before that, I would like to
> ask for a comment for Mr. Muthukrishnan, about which of "indian" and
> "indic" is better to describe Asian Indian languages.

As much as I respect the fact that American Indigenous people were
mistakenly called "Indians", that doesn't make the mistake the truth.

Irrespective of whether `Indic' sounds better (or is more appropriate),
I believe `Indian' feels right (and maybe because I'm Indian, it seems
very natural).

That's my $0.02

rv
(PS: This mail was intended to give perspective, and not to inflame
any ideas or feelings.)