Re: table.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:03:59 -0700 (MST)

    > This code does not have to be special-purpose and limited to table
    > mode.  For instance, you could make hook variables for those functions
    > to call.  Then table.el could set the hook variables to suitable
    > functions.  This might be useful for some other features as well as
    > table.el.

    Let me have some time to come up with a proposal for the generic
    extension to those functions.

Ok.  Please note that it doesn't have to be designed as *one* generic
extension.  It could just be a hook or an option in each function.
There is no need to struggle desperately to make this unified, since
it is only meant for wizards to use.

    > A few weeks ago, someone proposed on this list a feature for
    > discontinuous regions.  That was intended, I think, for the sake of
    > rectangles, but maybe table.el could use it too.  If that works out,
    > it could be the cleanest and most general solution.

    That would be the ultimate foundation for the table handling.  I
    consider that feature revolutionary.  However, from the experience of
    writing this table script I think it won't be as easy as it first
    appears.  For example, when new characters are inserted in the
    rectangle region how should the rectangle grow?

I am not sure.  But I think the idea is that the discontinuous region
would be determined when a function wants to use it.  So the question
of how to adjust the rectangle might not be any harder than it is now.