Re: Improvement Suggestion: Faces in Buffer Menu (patch included)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Improvement Suggestion: Faces in Buffer Menu (patch included)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:15:26 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Colin Walters wrote:

> I've moved the Regexp menu into Mark.  Immediate however does not
> contain solely display-replated items; right now there is "Diff with
> file" and "Customize".

"Diff" could go into "View" (after a separator).  As for "Customize", it
doesn't matter where you put it; it could go into "View" as well.

> Like much of Ibuffer, the menus are modeled
> from Dired's menus.  Dired actually uses 5 top-level menu items as
> well.

Dired should IMHO be changed along the same lines.  But even if it isn't,
it shouldn't stop us from DTRT with ibuffer.

> And combining both Sort and Limit into one menu would make for either
> an enormous menu (the current Limit menu alone is big), or a very
> tiny menu with both Sort and Limit as submenus.

If you put Immediate on the same menu, then having two submenus there
will not be so ugly.

> > Mouse-2 on the mode name limits the display to that mode, but
> > Mouse-2 on the size doesn't have a corresponding limiting effect.
> > Shouldn't it?
>
> How would it work?  Should it limit by size greater than, less than,
> or equal to that buffer's size?

Whatever is used the most, based on user experience.