Re: GCC complaints about missing braces around initializer

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GCC complaints about missing braces around initializer
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:37:25 -0800 (PST)

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:45:25 -0700 (MST)
>
> I don't remember either for certain whether K&R C allowed the nested
> braces.

It did.  The compiler supported them, and the K&R book documented them.

> However, it is better to leave this code alone, just because so many
> changes are being made now.

OK.  One further point: if you do use nested braces (in new code,
say), you should nest completely.  Some older compilers mishandle
partly elided braces because they incorrectly use a bottom-up parse to
resolve the ambiguity, even though both K&R and Standard C require
top-down.  It's safe to omit all the nested braces, or to omit none of
them; but it's not safe to omit just some of them.