Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:58:52 +0100

>     Doing auto-saves locally helps a lot with the speed, so I presume
>     you're happy with me trying that.
>
> Yes, and that's also why the auto-save file should not be compressed.

Right.

>     Do you have some suggestion what I should do about the ".gz" suffix
>     on the filename?
>
> Either remove the suffix, or do something else so that the file is
> auto-saved without compressing it.

I have now appended "~" to the auto-save filename.

But I do not feel happy with this solution.  I get the feeling that it
is something which will work fine for a long time, and some years
later, when nobody remembers what might be happening, it will bite us
again.  However, I can't really substantiate my claims with rational
arguments; it's just a gut feeling.

What do people think: should this issue be done _right_, or just in a
way that works for now?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)