Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:50:14 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
> Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:30:41 +0100
>
> I have just updated calc.texi in
> man/ (direntry was not at the right place, so the resulting info file does
> not contain DIR-ENTRY) and tried to updated the info/calc file, but it is
> not in info - it is autogenerated by the build process.

That's true: we don't put Info files into the CVS.  make-dist
generates them when the distribution is tarred.

Note that we supply the DIR file in the distribution, so any changes
in @direntry don't have any visible effect on what the users see.  So
there's no real need to update anything after such a change.

> Do we want calc and
> calc-* there? Should we continously update files there? Is the purpose of
> this directory to server as a fallback for architectures without makeinfo?

That directory holds DIR, which _is_ maintained in the CVS.  We
maintain DIR manually because we want the entries there to appear in a
specific order and with specific text, and because we don't want to
depend on @direntry directives in the *.texi files to do that for us.

AFAIK, this is the only reason to have the info directory in the CVS.

> We have COPYING in this directory, which is GNU GPL version 2. But files (I
> have not checked if all or only some of them) from this directory are under
> GNU FDL, like emacs*. I think we should fix this immediately.

GFDL is part of the manual itself, as an appendix; see
man/doclicense.texi.  So I think this is okay.