Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:11:46 +0100

Sam Steingold wrote:

Also, note that menu-bar-lines in the toolkit version does not mean
what it says.  It really only means on or off.

I know - but what if there are too many menu items to fit into a single
line?

The menu bar is split on as meny lins as needed (Motif at least), but menu-bar-lines is not changed.

At any rate, making `tool-bar-pixel-height', `menu-bar-pixel-height'
and `font-pixel-height' available would be nice.

I'm afraid that at least menu-bar-pixel-height can not be made available until the menu bar is realized. Since Motif uses Xt, one could set a different font, height or whatever in .Xdefaults that affects menu bar height. An alternative would be for Emacs to duplicate the Motif/Lucid (and more?) logic for calculating menu bar height, but this is not attractive.

tool-bar-lines * font-pixel-height should be tool-bar-pixel-height.

        Jan D.