Re: M-x customize strangeness with "Hide" button

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: M-x customize strangeness with "Hide" button
Date: 18 Feb 2002 10:16:27 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> >     If it hides the doc string, I think it should say that.  Just by
> > looking
> >     at it, its purpose is not clear.
> >
> > I think "hide doc" might be a good thing for it to say,
> > if there is room on the line.  But it looks like there isn't room.
>
> Then how about changing the name to "Less" (it says "More" right now,
> after you click it).  Or some other, equally short string.

Some applications use buttons labelled [>>] and [<<] for more and less.

> My point is that it's confusing to have two buttons labeled the same.

I agree.

BTW, I think the first [Hide] button should hide the state entirely,
rather than wasting a line to print the current dummy state.

And while we are at it -- why doesn't customize utilize the tool-bar
(when available and enabled) rather than using the current in-text
buttons (which always scroll out of view when looking at a
customization group):

 [Set for Current Session] [Save for Future Sessions]
 [Reset] [Reset to Saved Erase Customization]  [Finish]