Re: Another update of GNU TLS bindings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Another update of GNU TLS bindings
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:15:23 -0700 (MST)

    I am sure "we" as in the GNUTLS developer can do it.  Should I forward
    this request to them?

Please do.

      However, I'm not sure this would be
    useful for Emacs though, because using it would only move us to the
    same level as we have with the current OpenSSL support.

It would certainly be useful for Emacs to be able to use GNUTLS in the
same way it can use OpenSSL.  Much better than being *unable* to use
GNUTLS in the same way.

      That is what prompted me to write the GNUTLS bindings
    for Emacs.

Technically, installing those changes is a good idea.  (However, it
would still be a good feature if Emacs can use GNUTLS even if it was
not compiled to use GNUTLS.)

Given the authoritarian climate, and the restrictions now being
proposed in the UK, I think it is desirable to keep crypto code
to the smallest possible number of packages.