Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: 07 Apr 2002 01:55:15 -0500

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 01:36, John Wiegley wrote:

> Ah, not so.  You see, one's mode can internally maintain lists of the
> overlays it uses for different purposes.  This is part of the beauty
> of having them returned to the caller as created objects.  You then
> just rip through the list, deleting the kind of overlay you wish.

True, but if we had extents, then *both* approaches could be used.  If
it was inconvenient to record a list of your extents, then you could
just search for them by property.  I've often found recording lists to
be inconvenient in the modes I've written; but I can see how it would be
a very good approach to use in other situations.

Note that Emacs already has `next-single-char-property-change'; I
believe the very existence of this function supports my argument.