Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:27:29 -0600 (MDT)

       I can imagine something where functions not only have a doc string,
       but enough info for a more cleverly interactive browser/searcher
       than M-x apropos to easily find them (we may not need much more for
       that), easily connected to the customize options relating to that
       function, and ideally a mini-tutorial or example code for those
       functions/variables.

Could you spell out how this would look in practice?
(Would you like to help write it?)

    3. we have a nice set of tools for managing which files/buffers you
       have open and how to switch between them: ibuffer, iswitchb,
       various things like desktop.el, speedbar, buffer-menu, ...

       It might be good to settle on one or a few different ways of using
       all of these and making them more obvious for beginners.

I more or less agree, but I think desktop.el does not really belong in
this category.

    My personal interests are (1) and (2). I've been swamped with work for
    the last few months, but I'm really wanting to be able to have an
    aquafied emacs for my mac.

We will include support for Mac toolkits if someone writes it clearly,
but do remember that MacOS tramples your freedom just like Windows.
Our goal is to replace proprietary software, not to enhance it.  So
instead of looking to make GNU Emacs enhance MacOS, we should look to
enhance GNU to replace MacOS.