Re: Apropos commands and regexps

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Apropos commands and regexps
Date: 13 May 2002 10:40:52 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Wouldn't it be simpler (for a novice user -- and for advanced users
> > too) to simply write one or more words (substrings) and then search
> > for all combinations of those words (substrings) in the relevant list.
> >
> > E.g. C-h a open file RET  would find any matching
> >
> >         open.*file and file.*open
>
> Perhaps we should have a new command for that, and name it something like
> apropos-keywords.

I agree, but I think it shouldn't use the wierd hack on regexp syntax,
that's just confusing.

I'd say just separate the keywords by looking for commas or whitespace
or either (each `keyword' could be a regexp though).  That would be
both more convenient and also more familiar to people used to using
typical keyword searches (e.g., in web search engines).

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?