Re: address@hidden: Re: Problem sending bigger mails with CVS Gnus + CVS

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Problem sending bigger mails with CVS Gnus + CVS Emacs]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 02:45:47 +0200

>     There was a bug in process-send-string which prevented sending of more
>     than n characters in one line (500?).
>
> Can you remember which system this happened on?

Windows.

> Can you please try to reproduce it now?

At work, where I still use Windows, I still have Emacs 20.7, so I
don't know how much that will help.

> There is code to try to split long lines.

Right, I think what was missing was spliting between lines.  When
people sent their entire buffer and every line of the buffer was
"short", then this would trigger the deadlock.

>       This used to cause problems in
>     sql-mode when people wanted to use process-send-string to send entire
>     buffers to the process.  All lines where shorter than n, and thus
>     there was no breaking into chunks, and this caused deadlocks with the
>     process.
>
> That sounds like a separate bug.  There is code that tries to receive
> output when the process input buffer is full, but it may not work.
> Can you reproduce this now?

Not on my GNU/Linux system with the following script used as the bogus
interpreter:

#! /bin/bash
read -p "SQL> "
LINE=1
while true; do
    LINE=$(($LINE + 1))
    case $REPLY in
        *\;)
            echo "foo!"
            read -p "SQL> "
            LINE=1
        ;;
        *)
            read -p "  $LINE: "
        ;;
    esac
done

I will try and remember to run the appropriate test when I install
Emacs 21 on a Windows machine.

Alex.
--
http://www.electronicintifada.net/diaries/index.html