Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: 11 Jun 2002 09:12:51 +0900

> When a change was made to address one problem, and you
> think it causes another problem, please make an effort to find a way
> to rescue the change before you ask people to take it out.  In this
> case, I am the only one who has tried to do that.

But you also have to consider whether it's worth the effort.

You seem to be treating Bob's desire for a copyable nodes-line as
something that is extremely urgent.  It is not.  It's something that
would be nice, but which really isn't that important in the end, and
its certainly not worth screwing up an otherwise good interface for.

Now, perhaps your solution of duplicate header lines _is_ the best
compromise -- it avoids screwing up the nice interface, and it makes
Bob happy (I guess), even if it slightly confuses users and makes the
info buffer uglier.

Perhaps it would be possible to add some sort of header-line hackery so
that the header-line is only displayed when the buffer-resident
nodes-line has scrolled out of view.

> Getting rid of the header line would solve that too.  Maybe getting
> rid of the header line is an improvement all around.

No.

Having a constant way of seeing adjacent nodes is very valuable, I
think.  It gives you a sense of context that you don't really get with
the old only-at-the-beginning node-lines.  Morever, it's clickable, so
serves as an easy way of doing node navigation with the mouse.

I'll bet if you actually asked a bunch of newbies, they'd think you're
nuts for even suggesting this.

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin