Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:12:09 -0400

>           ... is also useful for Windows users ...
>
>       since fencepost is, I am pretty sure, a system that can run X,
>       which is a windowing system, I am not 100% sure that the
>       documentation writer actually means

I think the use of a capital together with the particular grammatical
construct used makes it clear that this use of the word `windows'
refers to a proper name rather than to the general concept of a window.
I'm surprised that anybody would be confused.

>       Windows.  (The Microsoft Corporation has spent a great deal of
>       effort in trying to deny the everyday meaning of the word
>       `Windows' in the context of computers, going so far as to obtain
>       a trademark on the word.)

I can only agree that this is a serious issue and that maybe we
should try and do something about it (including rewriting the
above sentence, if some other formulation can be found), but that
still doesn't make the above sentence ambiguous in my book.

        Stefan