Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:09:47 -0400

> The information whether a release is a bugfix is in etc/NEWS, right at
> the beginning.  So if you need to know this, you can find the info.

(with-rfc-mode
 And people SHOULD read the NEWS file anyway)

> As for using X.Y.Z version numbers, I don't mind, but some code in Emacs
> needs to be changed for this to work: currently, any version with 3
> numbers is assumed to be a pretest by emacsbug.el and maybe other places.
> Also, loadup.el bumps up the 3rd version number automatically each time
> you rebuild the binary.

We could simply decide that RC versions will be 21.1, 21.2, 21.3, 21.4
and the next trunk version will be 22.1 (at which point it will be on its
own branch for 22.2, 22.3, 22.4, ...).

> [Personally, I don't see what's the fuss about the version numbering
> (other packages, such as Texinfo, do the same as Emacs), but that's just
> me.]

Agreed except that the version under which the current trunk code will
be released is still unknown and that it poses problems when talking about
it in gnu.emacs.help (we've have made claims about 21.3 thinking
it would not be a bug-fix release, for example) and when writing
the :version info of defcustoms and of `make-obsolete' statements.

        Stefan