Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 16:00:13 +0200

> On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:02:12 +0200, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think having Emacs support Guile would be very visible to users, as
>> it likely would mean having threads which UI wise is probably the most
>> important new feature added to Emacs since it started supporting
>> windowing systems.
>
> OK, threads per se are good, but why should they be contingent on using
> Guile? They are now, because the plan is switching to Guile someday and
> it's absurd to duplicate efforts to discard them soon after. But perhaps
> adding thread support to Emacs/elisp is easier than doing the conversion
> from Emacs/elisp to Emacs/Guile. Who knows?

Yes, you are right, but there seem to be several advantages of using
guile (threads, i18n?, re-use between other applications, GTK
bindings, etc) and I strongly doubt that implementing all those things
in emacs is easier than switching to guile.

> From my (admittedly not very informed) perspective, the Emacs/Guile
> thing seems to be going nowhere (or, if it is going somewhere, it's
> doing it very quietly and off side).

I perceive the situation the same.  What happened with the Guile Emacs
project?  It seems to have died after the 0.5 release.