GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:32:25 -0400

Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden> writes:

> On a related but different topic, I haven't been able to log in on
> subversions for three days.  This is what I get:
>
> bash-2.05a$ kauth
> address@hidden's Password:   <-- Password RET, wait about ten seconds
> kauth: Retry count exceeded (send_to_kdc)
>
> I wrote to system-hackers@ about 40 hours ago, but I got no response
> yet.  Any suggestions?

The Kerberos server seems to be online now, though some (all?) of its
data has been trashed.  No more address@hidden any more, and
cross-realm authentication from ATHENA.MIT.EDU is broken too; I can't
even get tickets from the GNU KDC.

I talked to a guy who knows some people etc, and he said one of the
FSF machines was broken into, one for general remote login access.
Not the Kerberos server, so I don't know why it's been changed.  And I
don't know *when* the breakin happened, but three days of down time
seems pretty lame.

It also appears that Kerberos rsh access to the CVS server has been
shut off.  That's how I'd been accessing it for years, since before
the FSF ran ssh servers.[1] So I had a whole bunch of problems in my
way when I was trying yesterday....

I haven't seen any hints as to whether/when they'll restore the
Kerberos database, or whether/when they'll restore Kerberos rsh
access.

Don't you just love how they keep us so well informed, and in such a
timely fashion?

</complain>

Ken

[1] Some of you may know I'm a Kerberos guy, and I've done some CVS
hacking in the past.  I can go into why I don't use Kerberos CVS
access to the FSF if you care, but I think it's a tangent.