Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:44:53 -0400

>     - feature freeze on the trunk.
>     - create a branch for Emacs_21_4 where we can commit bug-fixes during
>       the subsequent debugging+pretest+maintenance period.
>     - merge the emacs-unicode changes onto the trunk.
>
> This is unacceptable unless the emacs-unicode changes are almost ready
> for real installation.

I'm not sure I understand why.  The three steps don't need to all take
place at the very same time.  Furthermore, during the debugging+pretest
phase of Emacs-21.4 I expect that we should concentrate on debugging
rather than new features so the trunk should most mostly quiet,
which leaves more time for merging emacs-unicode.  Finally, I agree
that the changes should be "ready for installation", but that doesn't
mean "100% completed".  It just means that the main parts are done
and working modulo bugs.
The trunk is where the main activity should take place, so as soon as
emacs-unicode is stable enough for other people (even if uninterested
in unicode) to hack on, it should be merged.

>  If they are almost ready, then rather than
> doing this, we may want to merge them into the trunk now and include
> them in the next release.

I hope that the work can be split enough that there's a "long time"
between "ready for use" and "feature complete ready for release".
Also I'd rather not delay the release of 21.4.

> Basically, it's either in or out.

Nice truism, Richard ;-)

        Stefan