desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:47:33 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:
> Desktop also writes the contents of `kill-ring' and `register-alist',
> and probably some history variables which could contain such
> characters.

Oops...

Then, it's a general problem of desktop.  If a user define a
new charset in a session, and there's a string containing
that charset in kill-ring, he always fails in the next
session while recovering the previous session.

It seems that the only way to solve it is to save also those
charset definitions.  But, saving it in .emacs.desktop is
useless.  We must save it in a file that is loaded before
.emacs.desktop is loaded.

Another workaround is not to save such strings that contains
a characters of newly defined charsets.

What do people think?  I prefer the latter method because
the former method is not robust.  It won't be able to deal
with the situation that a user defines a charset in his
.emacs before .emacs.desktop is loaded.

By the way, emacs-unicode won't have this problem.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden