Re: same-window-buffer-names and -regexps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: same-window-buffer-names and -regexps
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:09:46 -0500 (CDT)

Miles Bader wrote:

   Perhaps the 2nd argument to display-buffer (`NOT-THIS-WINDOW'), should
   cause it to ignore those variables; it seems like a natural extension to
   me, and it would mean that callers don't have to know about all the
   various special variables in order to get this behavior.

Maybe.  I do not know whether we have a complete list of all affected
callers yet and whether all these callers actually want to set
`NOT-THIS-WINDOW' non-nil.  If we bind C-x 4 C-o and C-o in
buffer-menu to a new command, then callers like
ielm-display-working-buffer can call that new command instead of
display-buffer, so that they also do not have to worry about binding
all these variables directly themselves.  I believe that the overhead
of the one extra function call should be be immaterial.

Sincerely,

Luc.