Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: 02 Sep 2002 10:36:21 +0900

>     David> to provide an Info source covering their software, and that
>     David> any installation process ought to support this by merging
>     David> these (INSTALL-INFO) with the Emacs Info.Dir?
>
> That's a maintenance nightmare

How so?  It seem to work well enough if people consistently use
`install-info' (and that actually seems to happen on debian at least).

> and often impossible on real OSes where not everyone is root.

People certainly have write access to the `dir' file in any directory
they write info files to.  Since info merges all the different `dir'
files into the final buffer at run-time, that's all that's needed.

> What's wrong with the current (XEmacs only?) system which
> automatically generates Dir from the info-path?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean; as I mentioned above, emacs merges
all the various `dir' files.

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo