Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:40:02 -0500 (CDT)

>From Richard Stallman's message:

       The dir file in /usr/local/info was installed (or updated) by
       emacs-21.3.50.

       The dir file in /usr/share/info (a symlink to /etc/info-dir) came with
       Red Hat 7.2.

       The dir file in /usr/info was installed by texinfo-4.2.

   This could be a problem we have to fix, an inconsistency between Emacs
   and Texinfo.  Maybe Emacs should install into /usr/info if it has a
   dir file in it.

   Should Texinfo (and Emacs) install into /usr/share/info rather than
   /usr/info?

It is a while ago that I installed texinfo-4.2, but if I remember well
I might have overridden the place Texinfo got installed, which probably
explain the inconsistency.  Hence, the inconsistency is probably not a
problem with texinfo.

Sincerely,

Luc.