Re: Problem with the RETURN key

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: Problem with the RETURN key
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:12:09 -0700

Ovidiu Predescu <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]  Here are the results of running (read-event):
>
> - external keyboard:
>      keypad return key: 'kp-enter'
>      normal return key: 'return'
                           ^^^^^^
> - built-in keyboard:
>      return key with "function" button pressed: 'kp-enter'
>      normal return key: 'return'
                           ^^^^^^

Then there is no problem with the C code recognizing the return key on
the Powerbook G4.  What does `C-h k RET' say?  Mine says:

  RET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline

Can you try running without a start-up file?

> I was wrong, my solution worked in limited cases only. Replacing in
> the keycode_to_xkeysym_table array the '\x0d' with 0 solved the
> problem for me.

Please don't change the code arbitrarily without understanding it.  It
is there to make Emacs recognize C-return, among other things.