Re: ?\_ patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ?\_ patch
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 04:18:44 -0500

    So I suggest that ?\s is a space unless the `s' is immediately followed
    by `-' (e.g. ?\s-a) in which case it has the usual meaning as a super
    modifier.

    In strings, "\s" should also mean a space unless it is following by
    a `-' (as in "\s-a") which should produce an error as it does now.

I have a bad feeling about this complication in strings, because it would
mean introducing a feature that doesn't always work the way people
would expect it to work.

Perhaps we could introduce the \s feature only for character constants.
In that particular context, there is no ambiguity.