Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: No malayalam glyphs in language/mlm-util.el
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:09:16 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:
> address@hidden (Ramakrishnan M) writes:

>>  Also when I do M-x describe-fontset (default, used by the current
>>  frame) ENTER I get
>>
>>    current frame is using a font, not a fontset

> This appears for me also, if I start Emacs without any font
> configuration.  When I set the font in my ~/.Xdefaults (as I usually
> do) I have a fontset, even with emacs -q.

I have just installed a change with which M-x
describe-fontset will describe the default fontset if the
current frame is not using a fontset.

By the way, I'll explain a bit more about the fontsets.

Emacs creates these fontset at startup time.

(1) The default fontset ("fontset-default").

This fontset is not used directly as a frame font.  It is to
provide fallback font information.  When a frame is not
using a fontset, or a frame's fontset doesn't contain font
information about a specific character, the fonts specified
in the default fontset is used.

So, in most cases, changing the definition of the fontset is
effective.

(2) The standard fontset ("fontset-standard").

This is a fontset of 16-dot fonts for non-ASCII characters
most widely installed.  By using this fontset, the
possibility of seeing many non-ASCII characters in a
balanced size is very high.

(3) The startup fontset ("fontset-startup").

If you specify a font by "-fn" command line argument or by X
resource "Font", Emacs creates this fontset by the function
create-fontset-from-ascii-font, and uses it for the initial
frame.  In this case, the fontset specifies only a font for
ASCII characters.  So, the fonts for non-ASCII characters
are decided by the default fontset.  But on selecting a
font, the family of the ASCII fonts is respected.

If no font is specified, Emacs uses this font (on Unix/GNU
Linux):
    -adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
In this case, the initial frame doesn't use a fontset, thus
the fonts for non-ASCII characters are decidd by the default
fontset too.

(4) The fontsets created from the X resource "Fontset-N".

When you have X resource "Fontset-N" (N is 0, 1, 2, ...),
Emacs creates the corresponding fontset as described in the
node "Defining Fontsets" of Emacs info.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden