Disable menubar broken, question about change

From: Jan D.
Subject: Disable menubar broken, question about change
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:44:36 +0100

Hello.

I noticed that disabling the menu bar with
% emacs -xrm 'Emacs.menuBar: 0'

(or the same thing in .Xdefaults) doesn't work anymore.
The change of the default value for menu-bar-mode to t in menu-bar.el is what stopped this working.

 (defcustom menu-bar-mode t
   "Toggle display of a menu bar on each frame.
  Setting this variable directly does not take effect;

2002-02-19  Per Abrahamsen  <address@hidden>

        * facemenu.el (describe-text-mode-map): Removed bootstrap kludge.

        * toolbar/tool-bar.el (tool-bar-mode): Made the standard value t.
        * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-mode): Ditto.

I don't know the correct fix for this, presumably the change was to fix something else? The setting of tool-bar-mode is done quite different, so
-xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' works:

;; We want to pretend the toolbar by standard is on, as this will make
;; customize consider disabling the toolbar a customization, and save
;; that.  We could do this for real by setting :init-value above, but
;; that would turn on the toolbar in MS Windows where it is currently
;; useless, and it would overwrite disabling the tool bar from X
;; resources.  If anyone want to implement this in a cleaner way,
;; please do so.
;; -- Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> 2002-02-21.
(put 'tool-bar-mode 'standard-value '(t))

Is the proper change to do the same for menu-bar-mode as for tool-bar-mode or is it to set the default for menu-bar-mode back to nil?

Thanks,

        Jan D.