Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:14:34 -0500

> > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:31:35 -0500
> > >
> > > 1) gdb-ui doesn't output to the I/O buffer in NT.
> >
> > Are you sure this is the always the case ?
> > I think it does not depend on gdb-ui but on the underlying gdb session,
> > so it might depend on which gdb executable you're using (native port,
> > mingw, cygwin, dos, godknowswhatelse, ...) and on what kind of runtime
> > library is used by the debugged program (again, native, cygwin,
> > djgpp, ...).
>
> Just FYI: the DOS port uses only the DJGPP library and runtime, there
> is no other DOS configuration of Emacs that one can build, not for
> years.
>
> As for Cygwin, this problem might indeed not happen there (and then
> again it might), but the clause suggested by Nick didn't include the
> `cygwin' configuration, so I think it's safe.  Someone who has the
> Cygwin build handy should try this and tell what they found; until
> then, I think we should assume it's Unix-like.

But aren't we talking about different things.
I was talking about how gdb and the debugged program were built,
whereas you're talking about how Emacs is built.  Aren't those
two aspects somewhat orthogonal ?  Can't I run a cygwin gdb within
NTemacs ?
I think a better solution would be to make the creation and/or display
of the I/O buffer conditional on the presence of output.
Or something like that.

        Stefan