Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:10:40 +0200

>     It seems binary is preferred over utf-8 and utf-16-* in
>     coding-category-list.  This seems extremely conservative.  I guess it
>     means UTF-8 can never be autodetected by default?
>
> That certainly seems undesirable.  Unless there is a specific reason
> why it needs to be this way, I agree with you that we should raise
> the priority of utf-8 and utf-16.

Kenichi Handa said that moving utf-8 earlier would make all files be
regarded as UTF-8, so until that is fixed I agree moving it higher up
in the hierarchy is bad.

But I'm not sure I understand the situation completely anyway.  When I
run emacs in an UTF-8 locale (LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8), which I usually do,
the utf-8 coding system _is_ first in coding-category-list, yet I have
no problems reading iso-8859-1 files.  They aren't regarded as UTF-8.