RE: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: RE: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:36:17 +0200

Kenichi Handa wrote:

 >> Sometimes, the echo area is unnecessarily resized, e.g. reserves too
 >> many lines: [...]

 >> My guess is that this is due to var-width fonts ...

 > I guess so.  Perhaps, your Korean font is taller than the
 > frame's default font.  What happens if you evalute this?
 >      (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_)

The same (the echo area is unnecessarily resized).

 > Anyway, I've just changed quail to use `message' for showing
 > the guidance in CVS HEAD.  So, if you set
 > resize-mini-windows to nil, the echo area won't be resized.

Hm, this works if I `setq' that variable before calling `message', but

   (let ((resize-mini-windows nil)) (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_))

still resizes the echo area.  Any idea how to disable the resizing for
one `message'?  (A real fix = correct behaviour w/ var-width fonts would
also be OK.)

- Christoph